Saturday, March 7, 2009

Just stuff.....

Good news! We bought a vehicle and were able to return the Longstaff family's car to them. We will be forever grateful to them for loaning us their car for the first few months. It made life so much easier! We bought a 1999 Ford Expedition. I know that sounds really, really old to you but you have to remember, we don't drive very far here! An occasional trip to Bahrain, go to Khobar once or twice a week and the couple miles around our compound community doesn't add up to many miles. This car has the equivalent of about 70,000 miles. It's been taken really good care of and it's working out great!We have gotten some new stuff, too! There are two families that we have gotten to know that are retiring and moving back to the States. They were selling lots of stuff so we took advantage. Also the coolest old antique cart used by the Bedouins (nomadic camel-riding Arabs) to carry food in the desert. Since they sat on the ground to eat, it is low. I love it and it looks great with a plant in it in the living room. You all know how I love old stuff? Also an antique bowl and canteen thing. From another family, we bought a rug for our entry way, a slow-cooker, some pictures and an night stand for Whitney's room. It's always fun to get new stuff, even if it's old to others.
My antique canteen! Can't you just imagine it tied hanging off the back of a camel??

My old antique cart I bought. I love it!!! I also bought from the same friend these big blue flower pots. They really add some color to the porch!


The Zachary's get the award for making us the happiest this week (well, I don't know, Evan was pretty thrilled with his letter from Remi...) by sending us Tony's!!! I am thrilled that the package got here with no problems. I could tell it had been opened, gone through, and retaped but I guess there were no "offensive" items because they let everything in! Tony's is by far the item that we have missed the most. The food is good here but all it needs is a sprinkle of Tony's and now we have it. We have heard you can get it occasionally at a certain store but haven't ever seen it there. We bought the Tobasco right here on the compound. It's also on all the tables at restaurants just like in Louisiana! Who would have thought....

So, thank you Zacharys!!!!!

4 happy thoughts:

Be A Saint said...

well, I am so glad that I could make your day so good. It should last you until you come home....maybe. Love the cool items you bought. Especially like the pots on the front porch. I am sure the yard boy will keep them in good shape. That I am totally jealous of, because even if I decided to buy something like that, I would worry becuase I would know that I would kill them!

Lisa said...

I LOVE the cart! It is so neat. And the "canteen". Great to hear how you are doing!

RaeAnn said...

I love reading your blog and hearing about all of the fun things you are doing!!! The cart and the canteen are very cool!! I ove old stuff too! Do you think you will be able to bring them home with you?

Susan said...

Your Expedition looks new, very nice...and I like all your old stuff too, but I'd trade it all to have a good yard boy.