Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sandboarding......

OK, quite possibly my coolest post yet...... Note: these camel pictures are NOT from Google Images!!! They are from my own eyes and own camara!! The youth at church had a "sandboarding" trip Thursday so we went along. As we were there, this little group strolled by!! I was freaking out but everybody else was like, "What?? .....it's some camels- big deal...." Nobody could believe we'd been here since December and hadn't seen one, let alone a whole herd, but this was our first camel sighting. It was awesome! Not sure why one of them sat down. They were being herded by a Bedouin man- not sure where to or from but it was amazing to see. Look at the little baby one!!

The sandboarding was a whole new experience for us- participants and spectators alike!

There were these huge dunes that they climbed up, got on sandboards (looked like snowboards but are different somehow) and slid down. There were ones that you stood on like normal then sled things that you sat on. You can see the fresh sand in the picture below. As they climbed up the first time it sort of avalanched apart.....so cool!



Evan on his way up again!

Whitney with a dune in the background.

Evan at the top with our cars down below. They would slide down the hill and about halfway on the flat ground to the cars. It looked scary to me.....but then, I'm a big chicken. Whitney did have one bad ride where she busted it pretty bad. She was pretty sore the next day. Somebody commented that they hadn't seen her fall but just caught the "last four or five rolls"! Both the kids are up for it again and I'm sure this is only the first of many, many sandboarding trips. It's about a half hour drive from our community. I wouldn't ever want to be the only car to drive out there. It's really in the middle of the desert and wouldn't be the best place for your battery to go dead. We grilled hamburgers and hung out all afternoon and evening. It was a blast!

9 happy thoughts:

Katie M. said...

That is soooo awesome! The camels, the sandboarding. What fun experiences you guys are having!

Ivy said...

How fun! I can't believe you guys started doing all the fun stuff as soon as me and Taylor left home! You're having way too much fun without me! I want to see camels!

Jen said...

That is so cool. I never knew sandboarding existed but I think I would love it. I love to sled, but hate being cold, so it sounds perfect!

Sharon said...

That really is amazing! I would also be stunned to see a herd of camels meandering by!

Bartonbunch5 said...

What a great experience!looks like you guys had a great time. Camels Wow! I never thought I would see that coming from the Pogues

Lindsay and Mike said...

That looks awesome!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

OMG. How fun is that? I read back and loved the stuff you bought from your friend. That is awesome stuff. I LOVE THE BLUE POTs.

Gayla said...

Wow - how cool is that!

Andrea said...

Okay, that last comment I left was so funny being that it said something about sand and camels!! LOL!! That looks so cool!!

The herding camels is so fun too! That little baby one is adorable! You so have to ride on while you are there so I can see you ride one and then tell me all about it!!

Sandboarding looks like a blast. It's so neat that there are fun youth there. Your kids will never forget this experience. I can't believe I have missed all these posts!! I am having so much fun reading them and ignoring my household chores.