Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dates.....

If you would have told me last year that I would love to eat dates, I wouldn't have believed it. I'm not a very adventurous eater and I'd just never been introduced to dates before. But let me just say, they are delicious and very abundant here.



They are heavy on all the trees so the outside maintenence guys trim the trees and they just drop down in the street. Our friends gathered a bunch and brought them to church for whoever wanted them. We put them in a bowl and have been eating them all week. I did a little research and found that they are about 20 calories each. No wonder they taste like candy!

5 happy thoughts:

Be A Saint said...

wOW, you could can them!!! That sounds good, and I must say, that sounds like just the kind of fruit you would like!! How funny.

Lindsay and Mike said...

They look delicious!

Kristin Walledom (337) 912-5909 said...

I am not sure about dates? I used to eat them when I was a little girl. In california they have date trees and my mom used to make date cookies....weird I haven't thought about those in years. They were delicious. I have to say though the picture looks a little like giant cock roaches...sorry! miss ya girl!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

Yum......good Idea to can them....so we can eat some when you bring them home. That would be a great gift....for us....canned dates from Saudi. HINT he-he

The Mabiles said...

I've heard that they are an excellent flavoring for milkshakes!