Saturday, September 12, 2009

Update.....

Sorry I haven't been doing very good at actually writing and giving information on my blog. Sometimes it's just easy to stick up pictures but that's just not the same.

* The kids are all back in school and things are going good. Whitney is taking "Beginning Guitar" at the Acadamy and she's really liking it and catching on. We took her to Rashid Mall and she picked out a nice acoustic guitar and a white strap with pink flowers! Evan is excited about Rock Band (not the game). At his school, there is an enrichment class called Rock Band where they learn the basics of some instruments and preform some music. He already had taught himself to play the guitar so he loved that class last year. This year he tried out for the after-school preforming Rock Band and got one of the lead guitar spots. He'll love that. (He still plays the trumpet in the regular band.)

* We've been having fun doing some actvities with friends. Some girl friends and I have decided to have a Phase 10 game day a few afternoons a month and we had the first one last week. Our ladies group from church also has a Lunch Bunch one day a month and Book Club one night a month. This month we read The Sunflower by Richard Paul Evans. I didn't love the book but the discussion was fun and uplifting. Next month is Three Cups of Tea. I'm just getting started on that but think it'll be a winner.

* For those of you who don't know, this is the holy month of Ramadan here in Saudi Arabia. (well, in all Muslim countries) It's been SO interesting to witness. Basically, they fast all day then after the evening prayer, they feast! Brad says that the Muslims at work generally leave about one in the afternoon, go home and nap, then party with friends and family. The word 'party' has a whole different meaning here, though. No alchohol allowed in this country. They seem to just be out and about with friends and family enjoying themselves. The stores and malls all stay open until the middle of the night. We've been at nine or ten and things are just starting to liven up. We had heard about the Ramadan sales but haven't been that impressed. Brad did get his prescription glasses at a huge discount and that was good.

* We had a "girl's night out" to the Dhahran Mall the other night and that was so fun! Me and a few friends and Whitney and her friend, Tori went on the 9:00 bus and took the 11:00 bus back. I think we all got a pair of shoes. Whitney bought a pillow. Nothing too exciting as far as purchaces but lots of fun and laughter.

* When you move to Saudi Arabia, there is a whole lot of lingo that you have to learn that you've never heard before! One of those words is "eid". Everybody is always talking about what they are going to do "over the eid", etc....Actually there are two eids. One is the week after Ramadan from what I can gather and work and schools are closed. That will start next week so lots of people are planning trips, etc. I think we're gonna stay here and plan some little day trips and beach days, etc. For whatever the reason, the kids having a few days off school is always welcome! And it'll be fun to have Brad home, too.

* We got the kids rooms painted and they look really good. Whitney's is bright blue and Evan's is bright orange. And when I say bright, I mean bright! I'll get some pics up soon. I haven't yet because we don't have curtains up or anything so I want to wait until you can get the whole effect. A funny thing that happened the day the rooms got painted: We'd gone down to get the paint the night before and made arrangements for the painter (from the store) to come the next day. The guy we bought the paint from drove the painter to the house. (of course I had to go to the security gate and sign them in) The painter didn't speak English at all. Well, maybe a few words....so the main guy dropped him off with his supplies and left him with me at the house for the day! (all the workers I have ever encountered here are super sweet and respectful and this one was no different) He of course was Muslim and fasting so I tried to eat my lunch in the living room, etc., so as not to make him hungry. So he basically painted all day long with no food, no water, no breaks, no trip to the bathroom, etc. We were amazed. So his boss called late in the afternoon to see if he was done. I went to check and realized that he'd been done for awhile and was just standing in the room! He would never have dreamed of coming out into our living area without being asked or even taking a seat in the rooms he was painting. So I invited him into the living room while he waited for his ride. Next thing I knew, he was sitting on the front steps in the 115 degree heat so I insisted he come in and sit. The kids were home by now and playing American Idol in the living room. I thought they'd get quieter with him in there but just the opposite. At one point, Whitney is blasting into the mike, "I tell you what I want, what I really, really want.....". That poor, poor man!! He smiled the whole time and was truly entertained. At one point they even offered him the microphone. He politely declined. I think he was very relieved when his ride got there and he could leave this home of wild, crazy Americans!

So ok, I feel better now that I've actually typed some stuff about our life as we know it! To all our friends and family, we miss you all, but we are doing fine!

* To Andrea- stop working so we can talk more! I can't solve the world's problems without you!!

1 happy thoughts:

Gayla said...

Wow, what interesting adventures you're having.