Thursday, June 19, 2008

Family Reunion Road Trip.........


First of all I have to say that girl's camp was SO fun! It was so relaxing to be there and in the kitchen cooking with Vicki, Kristin & Samantha. Everybody kept coming in and saying things about how hard of a job we had. I totally disagree! It was nothing but fun. The theme was "There's No Place Like Home" and they used the Wizard of Oz. It was SO cute! Everything tied in so well. So great job Robin, Andrea, Tammy, Monica and Claire! Whitney and I got home from camp Thursday about 4:00 or so. We got all the clothes washed and took a nap. Brad picked Evan up from scout camp at Edgewood that night. I finally got his clothes all done around midnight. We got up and left Friday morning at 6:00 to drive to Farmington, Missouri to the "Felix & Laura Pogue Family Reunion." Felix and Laura were Brad's great-grandparents. His paternal grandfather's parents.





We really enjoyed ourselves the whole trip. Brad's Dad, Jerry, was in charge of the reunion this year. It was at a restaurant with a buffet. It was fun to eat and visit. It was great to spend time with Brad's parents, Stephanie and Emily, and Brian and Cindy. I bet there were at least 75 people there. I know it's hard to see but we spent one afternoon at a swimming hole right there near Farmington where Brad's parents grew up. Note the three generations of Pogue men in the water!

While we were there, Brad's dad showed us around some of the old cemetaries. I took tons of pictures of Pogue ancester's gravesites. It was SO fun. I really love that sort of thing! Jerry might have had a little too much fun. You can see him in one picture "practicing" by laying on the ground by his tombstone! I know when the sad time really comes, we will have a good laugh at this funny memory of him! Another highlight of the trip was getting to see our sweet little cousin, Spencer, and his mom, Michelle. We haven't seen them in a very long time and we enjoyed our visit very much. The kids really enjoyed playing baseball with him in their backyard. When we left, Evan commented, "Spencer's awesome!"




The trip didn't last long enough as we had to leave to come home Tuesday morning. We drove Steph and Emily back to Hot Springs then headed home. Around DeRidder, we saw the most beautiful rainbow I think I have ever seen. It was the perfect ending to a fantastic trip!

2 happy thoughts:

Jeanna said...

Gwen
I was searching for the Pogue Family webpage that Jerry mentioned when I stumbled onto your blog. I am so excited!! I can keep up with your family now! I ran into Michelle at the Post Office yesterday and she mentioned how much she enjoyed seeing you and Brad and the kids. She also said that Spencer had so much fun with Evan and Whitney. Let's keep in touch!
Jeanna

Cathleen said...

Family get reunions are the best! I love doing family history research and spending time in cemeteries.....sounds morbid, but I love the history and thinking about the people who have come before us. I think you are right about Jerry's picture being funny someday, thankfully you captured the moment.