Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mailboxes and Poles.......


To clarify the comment in Taylor's last email about the mailboxes and poles:

Taylor and Mary Catherine Zachary stayed with us last week while Andrea was in Europe. It was great, they were wonderful. First thing Sunday morning, Taylor Z. was leaving to go home and get his church clothes and backed into our mailbox. It didn't fall all the way over. Just a lean. Before we left for church, he and Evan straightened it up, no biggie. Monday morning, Mary Catherine had volleyball practice at 8:00. Whitney as going to drop her off then go running. As she was backing out, she did the same thing to our neighbor's (across the street) mailbox! She called me from the road. She said it's just leaning a little. I told her when she came back to go straight over and tell Mr. Bobby that she did it, was sorry, and that we would pay for it. When she came home a little while later, there was a police car in his driveway! She freaked! Oh my gosh, surely it's not about the mailbox. But then again figured it was because his whole mailbox was gone, pole and all! The squad car left and she hesitantly wandered over and knocked. "I'm sorry, Mr. Bobby, but I accidently bumped your mailbox this morning." Something to that effect.... He started laughing and said that he called the police because he saw ours yesterday and thought somebody was going around vandalizing mailboxes! She said, "No, we knocked ours over, too!" Luckily he is a very nice neighbor and told her not to worry about it. They shared a good laugh about it. Then that same afternoon the elders were coming over for supper. I was calling Brad to remind him to come straight home because they would be here soon. He must have hit the wrong button because I could hear him but he didn't know we were connected. I heard him say, "I haven't had a wreck since I was fifteen years old...." Not a good thing to hear. But not too bad, he accidently backed into a pole at Citgo with a company truck. Of course that meant he had to go report it to security, take a drug test, all the procedural things that have to happen when an accident occurs in the plant. To top off all that, I was picking up the sister missionaries in Port Arthur tonight and locked my keys in my van and had to call Pop-a-Lock! All in all, nothing serious, thank goodness! But that's what Taylor was referring to in his letter when he said, "Stop hitting mailboxes and poles!"

5 happy thoughts:

Sharon said...

Wow! What a week! It's good that none of them were serious.

Melanie said...

I am laughing out loud!! That is so funny!!! After the fact, right?!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

Haha...that is great. I love it. Thanks for explaining.

Bartonbunch5 said...

If you are going to hit somthing I guess mailboxes and poles are better then most things! what a week, glad you made it through.

Anonymous said...

I love this story. Too funny!!