Saturday, December 5, 2009

Laos and Burma........

The original plan was to visit Burma and Laos. But by the time we got to the Burmese border it was too late to go in. The border closed at 6:00 pm. We tried again the next morning but were afraid it'd take too long to get back out so we settled for this picture by the gate. You can see the Burmese flag flying on the other side. I'd say we were close enough to add it to our list of countries. What do you think? But Laos, we visited! Right when we got off the boat and inside the country, we made some new friends. Whitney had on her LSU cap and we hear someone say "LSU??" We turn around to some cap-wearing 'Bama fans. We had a fun chat with them about football, etc. (Just for the record, all those beer bottles belong to the 'Bama fans, not the LSU's!)
Some adorable little girls who wanted 5 baht for me to take their picture. So cute. Very humbling.
Evan holding a bottle of something with a cobra in it....or was it a scorpion...both were available.
Whitney with the flag of Laos.
Who would have ever thought the Pogues would be in Laos?? Not me! (by the way, I'm standing downhill. I look shorter than normal in this picture)

3 happy thoughts:

Laura said...

AWESOME!!!!!

Be A Saint said...

You DO look short!! Ok, last night we went to Kyoto (I think that is the name) and I was telling the Bishop and Lynetta about your trip and I mentioned you were in Laos (sp?). So our waitress was standing at our table filling our water and said, "Oh, I am from Laos." HAHA She told us all about the people and how she sends $50 every pay check back to her family there and they can do SO much with just that much money. She had an aunt that just moved back after living here for 7 years. During the time her aunt lived here her family back in Laos was able to buy a car, house, and many other necessities just with her VERY meager earnings here in the US---or states!! Anyway, it was very interesting and I told her about what you said about the people being so beautiful. She also said she visited a few years ago for the first time since she was 2 and they exchanged $300 for 3 trash bags full of Laos money. She said they had it stuffed everywhere!

gwen said...

Oh my gosh, Andrea. I wish I could have talked to her! How interesting.