Thursday, May 15, 2008

First Chair, Baby!

Tonight was Evan's middle school band concert. Thanks Lisa for reminding me that band concerts are "blogworthy". I always forget to blog about things like this. Evan is in the seventh grade and this is his second year to play the trumpet. He really loves band. W. W. Lewis has a wonderful program and an outstanding director, Mr. Tim McMillon.

Ivy was never in band but Taylor played in the middle school band sixth, seventh and eight grade and so did Whitney. They do a Christmas concert and a Spring concert each year. This being Evan's second year, I figure we have now attended 14 concerts. (Whitney and Evan overlapped one year) Nobody has chosen to keep it up in high school but I'm so glad they took advantage of this fun activity! It's always amazing how much they can learn between the beginning of sixth grade and the Christmas concert! From barely being able to blow the horns to making real music.

You can see Evan on stage on the far left. He was first chair in his seventh grade trumpet section. Do you see the white dots above the band in front of the curtain? Right near the end of the concert a huge swarm of termites flew in. They were all swatting at them and the audience was laughing. It was crazy! I guess they were attracted to the stage lights.
Anyway, the 7th graders played Windsor Overture, Day-O and I Will Follow Him (from Sister Act). They did great.
As to not break tradition, after the concert we headed to Sonic for treats. Now it's on to less fun things............like homework!

4 happy thoughts:

Susan said...

Band and Chorus concerts are so fun...right up there w/ Honor's Night in my book. Tell Evan WTG on being 1st chair. Oh, and it's uncanny how much he looks like Taylor in that photo!!

Lisa said...

good job on the first chair! I agree... it is amazing how much they progress.

Erin said...

How fun! I hope my kids get involved with band when they get older.

Stacy James said...

Gwen, I lOVE your blog!! I am going to put it with my favorites. I really miss all the old familiar faces at church. You were always such a sunshine face to me. Don't you LOVE Canton? Been there several times growing up. I never found as many treasures as you. But I'd like to go back now that I'm older and can appreciate the cool stuff more. Nice hearing about everyone.