Saturday, May 3, 2008

Canton....so fun!

What a great week-end! Way back at scrapbook convention, MaryRuth mentioned that we should get together and met at Canton sometime. It's right outside of Dallas and advertises itself as the "world's largest open-air flea market." Who can resist that?? It is only open the first week-end of each month so we decided that May was the month. Thursday morning after the kids left for school, Andrea and I headed to Dallas. Lily came with us so she could play with her cousins. We stayed at Andrea's sister, Angela's house in Rockwall. We got there at around four, hung around awhile, unpacked then headed to Dallas to meet MaryRuth at the church bookstore. It was so good to see her! We shopped around the bookstore for awhile then headed to eat. We went to a little Italian restaurant in Highland Park. After we ate, we took a walk along the river and then around a very upscale neighborhood. It was right at dusk and it was sure fun to look in the windows and see what we could see. They were just beautiful houses. We then went to another little restaurant and ate dessert, drove around a little bit more then headed back to Angela's. Claire and Kate were kind enough to give their beautiful room to MaryRuth and I for the night. We got up early and got ready to head to Canton. We had on the news and saw that a tornado had just hit Canton. Wow! We wondered if we should even go, then decided to head that way and see what was going on. The parking attendant shared with us the details. Several trees were twisted off, a car or two turned over and a tree had fallen on a motor home. But believe me, the tornado didn't stop the multitude... We shopped from about ten in the morning until they closed at five. I had brought $100 to spend and I am THRILLED with all my purchases!

Here they are........ I have wanted Fiesta dishes for years. We found a booth that had the plates for $4 each. I got 12 of them. Two each of red, green, cobalt, peacock, orange and yellow. They are adorable. Granted, we did have to dig through a filthy trailer to find ones that weren't damaged. They were grimy and dirty but a trip through the dishwasher was all they needed. Next year, I'll plan to go back for the bowls.



MaryRuth also introduced us to "dough bowls". I love mine~ It's a hand carved 'bowl' on a stand that you can put fruit in, use as a bread basket, etc. It's so unique and cool. Also, I found a cute plaque that reminds me to count my blessings. Love it.







Found this great big ironwork thing that I plan to hang over the TV in the living room. It is really cool and not as heavy as it looks. It was comical carrying it around. We had rented a cart for the day for $5 which was well worth the money but this certainly was not going to fit into it.
Ok, this really came from the bookstore but I saw these beautiful wooden Plan of Salvation charts. I thought how pretty they were and too bad they were only in English. After flipping through them, I found one foreign one....and it was FRENCH. Perfect. It will be in the mail to Taylor in Vitrolles Monday.

Next is an incredible smelling Basil Lime candle. I put it in the kitchen window.

We hauled all the loot back to the van and headed back to Angela's house. So sad that MaryRuth had to leave to go home. I was so tired that I collapsed on the couch and slept for awhile while Andrea and Angela went to pick up their little girls from the babysitter. When they got back we went and ate at a cute little Mexican restaurant there in Rockwall. We went to bed early, got up the next morning and headed out by ten. It was such a fun trip. Thank you MaryRuth for introducing me to Canton! Trust me, I'll be back!

Got there and realized I had left my memory card in my computer at home. Somebody took a picture of us all and I'll borrow it and post it later!

Here is what my Fiesta looks like in the dishwasher! Isn't it so cute??

7 happy thoughts:

Carolina girl said...

I LOVE your new dishes! Sounds like a fun time!

Erin said...

The first time I went there I was a teenager and was amazed by how huge it is. Glad to hear that the tornado didn't mess up your plans!

Jen said...

I love the iron piece! I also think the Plan of Salvation puzzle is awesome. Matthew got one in Spanish before he left for his mission and I thought it would be so great to use with investigators.

MaryRuth said...

It was the funnest weekend ever!! Thanks so much!!! I had a blast!

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dishes!!! I'm so kicking myself that I didn't get any!!! They look so colorful and festive in the dishwasher!! I love it!!!

Thanks again for a perfect weekend... it was SOOO fun to spend time with you and I can't wait to do it again!!!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

Gwen that sounds like a blast. I have not been to Canton ever. But I keep talking about going, maybe in the next year.

JS said...

i wanna go to Canton! That sounds like my kinda fun...

Lindsay and Mike said...

Wow! I love all your great finds!!! All of that for $100??? I am impressed!